So here we are, and off we go.
I bought the Spectra Trendz kit (3.5mm-8mm) from El Corte Inglés, because I knew I'd get the use out of them, and I certainly have.
Admittedly, I managed to snap the tip off one of the 3.5mm needles, but that was my own fault for forcing it instead of unravelling a row that was far too tight. I bought a single pair of with wooden needles to replace them. They're just as good, but I find I prefer the cool handling and jewel colours of the acrylic needles to the warmth and exotic stripes of the wooden needles. (Though these look pretty.)
I've currently got two cotton tops on the go (one in crochet and knit, and the other on the knitting needles) because I need light extra layers for autumn. Pics to come.
And the gorgeous jumper I started for my son two years ago, and simply put down for some reason. Oh, I know, it's when I finally learnt to crochet after years of failed attempts - and just went for it. I find that i have no patience with clumsiness anymore. i want to do things well, and will happily bash away at something for ages if it gets me to a standard that I'm happy with. So - crochet - yeeha! Now I can get back to my knitting. I've been practising on stuff for me, and now I can get back to gorgeous jumper for beloved son.
And I've almost finished a full-length quilted kimono with a deep padded lapel and sash with light beading, and a starburst on the back skirt done in running stitch in various embroidery silks. My old needlework teacher would probably throw up her hands in horror at the state of the lining, but it's warm as toast, looks fab on the outside, and will wash well for the umpty-ump winters I intend to wear it. Again, pics later. (You bet!)
I've just cut out a secret project, a trio of portrait dolls which I'll post when I've handed them over - in the next couple of months.
And Esther and Suzy and I are going to have a go at a mercadillo, a little craft market, at the end of November. Esther's doing crochet, Suzy's doing earrings and bags, and I'll be doing dolls - Christmas angels, in fact I've used these particular patterns before with charming results, so I'm looking forward to making them in quantity and seeing them go off to be part of other people's Christmases. Time is short, but we're all making small things that will fit in with the day job, so - onward!
Here are links to old posts where you can see the original patterns and dolls.
Christmas angels - in ones and threes. I'll make a lot of these.
Calico gals - For me, this pattern mixes the bygone petticoated ragdoll with modern American naive/retro and the Scandinavian whimsy of Tilda designs. So cute!
Perfect little angel - Not this year! I find the original doll bland in its perfection, but the beauty of this pattern is that it really does offer a blank canvas. The doll and her clothes are so simple that they provide a perfect base for creating something special and personal. Or doing something a little more offbeat for the less traditional market. Depending on how we get on with our mercadillo, I'll think about the not-quite-so-perfect little angel for next year.
But I absolutely won't be making any of those naff yarn-wrapped voodoo dolls. What IS this obsession with zombies and vampires?!


No comments:
Post a Comment